Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Your Daily Slice

Tammuz 27
Sound of Silence


“And in the naked light I saw
ten thousand people, maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share
No one dare
Disturb the sound of silence”
(©1964 Simon & Garfunkel)


We live in an advanced, high tech world, where electronic devices abound by the billions.  Everything from cell phones to ceiling fans, from televisions to tablets, from vacuum cleaners to freezers to HD entertainment centers.  And they all make their own noise, most are audible to the human ear, though some are not.  There is no such thing in our modern world as true silence; as I sit in my office writing this, I can hear the sound of my computer tower, in addition to the sound of the ceiling fan in the next room.  I believe we have lost something valuable in the advancement of our modern world.

My husband and I enjoy taking our horses and traveling to what is known as the ‘wilderness areas’ within the National Forests of Wyoming.  These are areas that are only accessible to the non-motorist; there are no motorized vehicles (or equipment, such as chainsaws) allowed in these specific regions, and the only way to travel in and through them is either on foot, or by riding, be it a horse or a mule.  The only sounds to be heard within the boundaries of these areas are the sounds of nature, disturbed occasionally by the sound of a plane high above.  We cherish our time spent on these ‘retreats’, for we find that when we return to civilization, we are more in balance, our relationship with our Creator is once again where it should be, and our batteries have been ‘recharged’,

The prophet Elijah also found refuge in a place of silence.  Running in fear for his life, Elijah ended up on Mt Horeb, known as the mountain of Elohim (see 1Kin 19:8), and it was there that Elohim met with the prophet.  From the vociferous great wind, to the violent earthquake, ending with the wild and raging fire, Elijah learned the value of silence, for it was then he was able to hear the “still small voice” of our Creator as He spoke and ministered to Elijah (see 1Kin 19:11-13).

I have heard schizophrenia defined as hearing ‘many voices’, all at the same time.  In truth, is that not true of many of us, in this modern world we live in?  I know of several people who cannot stand to be home alone without some kind of noise playing, be it the television, radio, or CD player. How is our Father supposed to speak with us through all of the racket and din we surround ourselves with?  Yes, I am well aware of the saying “my Father knows how to get my attention when He needs to”, but are we not told we are to seek Him, not the other way around (see Ps 24:6; 27:8; Mat 6:33; Col 3:1)  ?  Whatever happened to ‘ask/seek/knock’ (Mat 7:7)?

I would like to issue a challenge to all of us (myself included) who claim to children of the Elohim of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.  I would challenge each one of us to take a set amount of time each day, be it 15 minutes, or 60 minutes, and set it aside as a time of silence.  Let us learn again the value of being quiet and still in the presence of our Creator, sitting at His feet.



“Be still, and know that I am Elohim; I am exalted among nations, I am exalted in the earth!” (Ps 46:10 ISR)

“But יהוה is in His set-apart Hĕḵal. Let all the earth be silent before Him. (Hab 2:20 ISR)

“Therefore thus says the LORD, the Holy One of Israel: When you will repent and rest you will be saved; IN QUIETNESS AND IN HOPE SHALL BE YOUR STRENGTH; but you would not listen.” (Isa 30:15 LBP, emphasis mine)




©2018

No comments:

Post a Comment