Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Your Daily Slice


Sivan 23
Clarity


The command of יהוה is CLEAR, enlightening the eyes …” (Ps 19:8 ISR, emphasis mine)


I remember so well, while my husband and I were still part of the “Westernized Christian Church”, how most congregants felt that the Old Testament, especially Torah, was too confusing, and that it was just as well that all of that “law” had been done away with.  For many years, I believed what I was told, until I reached the place where it was more confusing to believe what was being preached from the pulpit, than what I was actually reading and studying for myself.

Something that is clear is something that is transparent, easily divulged, and has no smoky or blurred edges to it.  And is this not an accurate description of the Torah of our Elohim?  The only time I have stumbled upon any distortion to the instructions that are found within Torah is when I try to make it say something that it does not, in other words, trying to make Torah fit my wants and desires, instead of me submitting to the dictates of Elohim.  And I can give you an example:  I was raised on shellfish – especially crab and lobster – and I love it.  For years, I tried to make the excuse that the dietary laws did not specifically mention crab and lobster, yet in reality, who was I kidding (see Lev 11).  Neither crab or lobster has fins or scales, and both are considered unclean.  Boom. (see Lev 11:10-12)

When we are travelling to a destination that we have never been to before, it helps to have a precise and clear set of instructions on how to get there.  We rest assured in the fact that we do know where we are going, because of the instructions that we have been given.  We can clearly “see” where we are going.  Again, is this not a definition of Torah?  However, we must first recognize our ‘night blindness’ before we can fully appreciate the light that Torah brings …


For the command is a lamp, And the Torah a light, And reproofs of discipline a way of life …” (Pro 6:23 ISR)

Open my eyes, that I might see Wonders from Your Torah. (Ps 119:18 ISR)


©2018



No comments:

Post a Comment