Saturday, March 31, 2018

Your Daily Slice


Nisan 15             
MY Shepherd

יהוה is my shepherd …” (Ps 23:1)

Psalm 23 is probably the most well-known Psalm found in the pages of the Scriptures, yet for the most part, folks have no inclination of the wealth found in the words of these verses.  I have been reluctant to write anything concerning this well-loved Psalm, as it seems there are whole BOOKS dedicated to taking this Psalm apart.  And yet, I wanted to see for myself what it is all about.

“My” and “mine” are words of possession, of ownership.  When I make a declaration of this nature (my husband, my child, my home, and my Elohim), it reveals that I have chosen to identify with the particular subject, in this case, it is YHWH our Elohim.  I have chosen YHWH to be my Elohim, and I have chosen to cleave to Him and His ways.

There is, however, much more stated here.  The Hebrew word that is translated as “shepherd” is the word rââh (Strong’s #H7462), and I very much enjoy the interpretation given by Jeff Benner in his Ancient Hebrew Lexicon: 

The pictograph r is a picture of the head of a man, the o is a picture of the eye. Combined these mean "man watches". The shepherd closely watched over his flock, often they are his only companions.[1]

What a beautiful picture of our ABBA Father!  Our Creator is the one who “watches over us, as we are His companions.

Much of the land in Wyoming is owned by the government (BLM, NFS, as well as state agencies), and both cattle and sheep ranchers will lease sections of land to pasture and feed their livestock on.  When I first arrived in the state of Wyoming (1973), it was not unusual to see flocks of sheep numbering in the thousands, with several sheep-herders (and their dogs) tending to them.  It was the responsibility of these sheep-herders to watch over the sheep, protect them, care for them, and diligently provide for them adequate pastures and water.  And this was a full time, 24/7 job.

When I choose to make the statement יהוה is my shepherd, I am recognizing and accepting His care for me, a sheep.  And I am placing my complete trust in Him, knowing that He will never leave me, or abandon me (Deu 4:31; Heb 13:5).  AMEIN!

“I am the good shepherd. And I know Mine, and Mine know Me …” (John 10:14 ISR)

©2018



[1]Ancient Hebrew Lexicon of the Bible; Copyright © 2006Ancient Hebrew Research Center Ancient Hebrew Lexicon of the Bible ISBN: 1589397762 Author: Jeff A. Benner


No comments:

Post a Comment