Saturday, June 16, 2018

Your Daily Slice


Tammuz 3
The Heart of a Servant



For you, brothers, have been called to freedom, only do not use freedom as an occasion for the flesh, but THROUGH LOVE SERVE ONE ANOTHER. (Gal 5:13 ISR, emphasis mine)


Not too many days ago, I had a conversation with a young lady – one who professes to have a relationship with the living Elohim – during which she complained vehemently about everything others expected of her.  I am paraphrasing her words here: “the only time anyone calls is when they want something from me, be it something I am to do for them, or something, especially money, that they want me to give to them.”  While I can understand the emotions behind her statement, being a servant is exactly what we are called to do, if we make the claim of being a child of Elohim.

Our lives are not our own, we are no longer free to do whatever we want, with whomever we choose.  We have been bought and paid for with a price that is non-negotiable (1Pet 1:18-20; Acts 20:28; 1Cor 6:20), which has effectively transferred ownership to the One who paid for us.  Here me, folks, the first position we assume in the kingdom of our Creator is that of slave – one who has been bought.  Because of His love for us, our Father chooses to change that relationship to that of parent/child, but we cannot call ourselves a child of God unless we first recognize the status of slave.

The Greek word in our opening verse that has been translated as ‘serve’ is douleuō (Strong’s G1398), and means to be a slave, to do service, to yield oneself in obedience and service.  Notice, please, those whom we are to serve: one another.  I have yet to find in Scripture any verse that allows me to pick and choose those I am to serve, and be of service to.  Yes, we all have individual giftings and talents that are of benefit to the body of Messiah, and they are to be used as such (see 1Pet 4:10), for by doing so, we bring honor and esteem to the One who owns the title to our lives.  My contribution is that of exhortation, encouragement, edification and comfort – some have called me teacher, though I do not make that claim.  However, I do not pick and choose who is on the receiving end of what I write – that choosing is reserved for Elohim alone.

As in everything we do, there must be a balance.  We cannot continually give of ourselves – our time, talents, and even finances – without tending to ourselves (and family) first.  If we don’t continue to make deposits to our bank accounts, eventually we will be overdrawn, and in trouble with the bank.  It is the same principal here.  Shabbat was created for a day of rest, a time to have our batteries recharged, a time to sit at the feet of our Master.  It is only after we have tended to our nefesh – our innermost being – that we are able to be the servant our Creator requires us to be.

Allow me, please, to give a word of warning.  The definition of ‘hypocrite’ is “a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs”[1].  If we make the claim of loving our Creator with all of our heart, soul, mind and strength (Deu 6:5; Luke 10:27), yet we are not willing to “love our neighbors as ourselves” (Lev 19:18), and to serve one another in love (see our opening verse), then we are deceiving ourselves.  Messiah Yeshua said very plainly that “If a person [really] loves Me, HE WILL KEEP MY WORD [obey My teaching] Anyone who does not [really] love Me does not observe and obey My teaching.” (John 14:23-24 AMPC)  Obedience – through love – to the divine instructions in moral and righteous living will always be the fertilizer of the fruit that we bear.  A lack of obedience will abort and stunt whatever fruit we may have growing, and eventually cause it to cease bearing fruit all together.


And by this we know that we have known Him, if we keep His commandments. The one saying, I have known Him, and not keeping His commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in that one. But whoever keeps His Word, truly in this one the love of YAHWEH has been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him. (1John 2:3-5 HRB)


Abba, Father, I come to You, heavy in heart.  I am asking, Abba, that You would refine and perfect a servant’s heart within me.  May I always be willing to serve, to do, to give, to those You direct me to.  And in serving others, may my service bring honor and esteem to You, my Creator and Master.  Amein.


©2018




No comments:

Post a Comment