Skip to main content

How GREAT is our Elohim!

"You give me Your shield, which is salvation, Your right hand holds me up, Your humility makes me great.”  (Psalm 18:35 CJB)


As with much of our YHWH’s Word, the richness of this verse is difficult to see until we look at the original Hebrew text.  English translations have only skimmed the surface of what King David was trying to convey when he first wrote these words, thousands of years ago.

The word ‘shield’ used here is from the Hebrew word ‘māgēn’ (Strong’s #H4043), and metaphorically speaking, it refers to YHWH Himself as a shield, such as a shield of refuge (see Psalm 3:3; Psalm 18:2).  David is acknowledging that YHWH Elohim has been his shield, and that he (David) humbly and willingly recognizes this.

This shield is ‘salvation’ – the word here is the Hebrew ‘yēshả’ (Strong’s #H3468), a derivative of the name “Yeshua”, the Hebrew name of our Messiah.  Therefore, the ‘shield’ that David is acknowledging, and recognizing, is Messiah Yeshua!  He is the ONLY one who brings salvation, for there is no other NAME given among men by which we can be saved (Acts 4:12)!  Hallelu-YAH!

The ‘right hand’ always signifies power and authority (‘yāmin’, Strong’s #H3225), and we know from the Word that at the present time, Yeshua is seated at the right hand of the Father (Mark 16:19; Acts 7:56; Ephesians 1:20; Hebrews 1:13).  Victory in battle is usually attributed to YHWH’s right hand (Exodus 15:6; Psalm 98:1); and we find mention made of YAH’s right hand being exalted (Psalm 118:16).  It is not out of place to further interpret this to mean the Father’s ‘right hand man’ is Messiah Yeshua.  And it is with this right hand of power and authority that ABBA Father helps us to stand, and to WITHstand!   

‘Humility’, gentleness, and meekness are not only fruit of YHWH’s set-apart Spirit, but also qualities of character attributed to Messiah Yeshua.  The Hebrew word translated here is ‘anāwāh’ (Strong’s #H6038), and this word implies someone of extreme patience, mildness of disposition, kind, and humble.  Did not our Master ask us to “take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls”? (Matthew 11:29)  Yeshua is our example in every way, in everything.  When we choose to follow the footsteps of our Jewish Messiah, and model our lives after HIM, that is when we can say, like David, we have become ‘great’.

The word – ‘great’ – from the Hebrew word ‘rābāh’ (Strong’s #H7235),  means an ever increasing abundance, both in the natural, physical realm, as well as the spiritual one.  But the significance behind the abundance is that it is our GOD – our YAH - that has provided it ALL.  How GREAT is our God!  Hallelu-YAH!

You, ABBA, have given me Yeshua, Yeshua who is my Shield, Yeshua who is my Salvation, Yeshua who is Your Right Hand, who helps me to stand, and withstand.  You have given me Yeshua to be my example, that I may follow Him all the days of MY life.  And because I seek first the kingdom of my YAH, ALL things shall be added in ABUNDANCE to me!  Thank You, THANK You, Father!

“How GREAT is Your goodness, Which You have laid up for those fearing You, Which You have prepared for those taking refuge in You In the sight of the sons of men!”  (Psalm 31:19 ISR, emphasis mine)

“If I raise my eyes to the hills, from where will my help come? My help comes from Adonai, the maker of heaven and earth.” (Psalm 121:1-2 CJB)


©2015 Merete Marx

Comments